Student International Travel Resources


All students traveling abroad should resolve all passport and visa issues well in advance of their departure date. Make certain that your passport is current and valid six months from the date of your return. You may consult CIBTvisas for information about visa requirements. An overview of CIBTvisas can be found here.

International students should consult with the Davis International Center regarding their U.S. student visas.

International SOS

ISOS provides Princeton University business travelers and expatriates with quality health care and medical and security assistance services worldwide 24 hours a day. Their worldwide helpdesks can assist with urgent medical issues, security and logistical questions, medical advice, or other concerns and situations that may arise. ISOS can be contacted by phone, online, or using the ISOS app (available in your mobile phone's app store). International SOS provides emergency and support services for international travelers. Print your ISOS Membership Card.

International Health Insurance

The University provides international health coverage to all students with a current passport or student visa who are temporarily traveling or residing outside of their home country of regular residence, as part of a University activity, program, research, or other sponsored travel. In the event that you are asked to provide evidence of this coverage (e.g. as a Visa application requirement), please contact Missy McGinn, Assistant Vice President, Risk Management ( or

Coverage is provided by Starr in conjunction with International SOS. There is NO enrollment required and there is NO separate ID card. Simply utilize your International SOS Membership card.

U.S. State Department International Travel Information (Including Warnings and Alerts)

Before planning travel, all students should review information for country-specific alerts and warnings posted by the U.S. State Department.

Smart Traveler - U.S. Department of State Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)

International travelers are required to register their international travel with the U.S. Department of State Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). STEP provides notices and alerts from the U.S. Government to U.S. Citizens while they are traveling or living in a foreign country.

Laptop Travel Restrictions for Encryption Software

Princeton University staff and students should refer to Technology Guidelines if planning to travel with encrypted computers or mobile devices.