Undergraduate Travel Policies
All undergraduate students embarking on University-sponsored overnight travel must complete a travel request in Concur. A trip is considered sponsored by the University if any of the statements below are applicable:
- The trip is organized on behalf of a registered University organization, including, but not limited to: student organizations, religious groups, sport clubs, varsity athletic teams, civic engagement organizations, residential colleges, academic or administrative departments;
- A University account contributes funds, or money is held and disbursed through a University account;
- The trip is organized by a University faculty or staff member; or
- The work will be considered for academic credit.
An overview of the steps required for University-sponsored overnight travel can be found at the undergraduate travel checklist.
Students are able to register non-University (personal) travel in the Travel Registration Database if they choose. The summary information provided in the Travel Registration Database will be stored and used only in the event of a national or country-specific crisis when University resources or contacts could be helpful to the traveler. A trip is considered not sponsored by the University if it is a personal trip and is not funded or organized by the university.
- The University will not sponsor or support undergraduate travel to countries on the State Department Warning List or where the U.S. has imposed a travel restriction.
- Students who have a compelling need to travel must complete an exemption request (PDF). In addition, the student will need to submit an Addendum to the Travel Terms and Conditions (PDF), signed by him/her and a parent. Please email these forms to Nancy A. Kanach, Senior Associate Dean of the College at firstname.lastname@example.org and cc: Chris Burkmar, Executive Director of Planning and Administration for the Office of the Vice President of Campus Life at email@example.com.
- The University reserves the right to revoke support and funding for trips at any time there has been a significant deterioration in the safety and security conditions surrounding travel arrangements or in the sector of the country or countries where travel is to occur.