Graduate Travel Policies

University-Sponsored Travel

All graduate students embarking on University-sponsored travel must complete a travel request in Concur. A trip is considered sponsored by the University if any of the statements below are applicable:

  • The trip is organized on behalf of a registered University organization, including but not limited to: student organizations, religious groups, sport clubs, varsity athletic teams, civic engagement organizations, residential colleges, academic or administrative departments;
  • A University account contributes funds, or money is held and disbursed through a University account;
  • The trip is organized by a University faculty or staff member; or
  • The work will be considered for academic credit.

An overview of the steps required for University Sponsored Travel can be found at the Graduate Travel Checklist.

Non-University-Sponsored Travel

Students are able to register non-University (personal) travel in the Travel Registration Database, if they choose. The summary information provided in the Travel Registration Database will be stored and used only in the event of a national or country-specific crisis when University resources or contacts could be helpful to the traveler. A trip is considered not sponsored by the University if it is a personal trip and is not funded or organized by the University.

Service Break Trips

Princeton does not financially support non-departmental service break trips because of its concerns about responsible and effective service, risk management and fiscal responsibility. As a result, the University will not provide funding or sponsorship for students to participate in them.